Jun 30, 2010

Just a BAD night!

The scariest thing happened here last night.  I had just gotten the kids in the tub, Ron was out working in the garden, and I was about to start on the dinner dishes.  The power kinda flickered and went off but came right back on.  I was standing at my kitchen sink and I heard the weirdest loudest humming/zapping sound and then the power went OUT. From the look on Ron's face in the garden I knew it was SOMETHING.  It was kind of stormy so I thought maybe he saw lightning touch the ground.  I ran outside and asked what on earth it was (okay, maybe I didn't use those words because I was so freaked out by it), but I got out there just in time to see it for myself.
The power lines were zapping!
Right in front of the house!
It was a HUGE ball of...
light? 
(It reminded me of the bug on The Fox and the Hound when he's going across the power lines.)
Just much much
BIGGER, LOUDER, and FASTER
 It scared me so bad, I ran in, got the kids out of the tub and out of the house because I didn't want them to be inside when it started the house on fire. 
 Okay, so maybe I over reacted, but I had no idea what caused it, and it was so close to the house that I could just see it traveling to the house and then who knows what. 

BUT it was all because of a wind gust blowing the wires causing two of the lines to touch each other, then it ended up tripping the breaker down at the sub station. 

We finally got the kids bathed and put in bed, the dishes done, and the fish tank cleaned.  I went to sit on the couch and talk to Ron while he messed with his fish before we went to bed, when I wasn't paying attention and ran RIGHT into the couch!  BREAKING my toe! It was seriously the 2nd worst sound of the night.  I sat on the couch in agonizing pain (okay, maybe I'm over reacting AGAIN!) when Ron asked, was that your TOE NAIL!?!  Nope, pretty sure I just broke my toe!

Man, you never realize how much you take for granted until you can't use it, from power to a stupid little toe!   xc

3 comments:

Bobi... said...

Crazy! Sorry you had such a lousy night!

Kristin, Scott, Emily and Eric said...

Oh wow!!! That does sound like a crazy night! How does your toe feel? Any better???

USA said...

I was wondering what the heck was going on down there!!! Taylor called and said you were all out there watching "fireworks"!!!