Oct 9, 2010

Back to School!

I graduated from BYU-Idaho in 2007 with my B.S. in Elementary Education.  I decided to become a certified teacher even though I knew I wasn't wanting to teach in the near future.  Here in Idaho (I'm sure its much the same through out the rest of the country) you can not teach unless you are certified through the state...basically just paperwork after graduation. 
 HOWEVER, I have to re-certify every five years to keep my certification.  Which requires completing 6 credit hours with in those five years.  If I loose my certification, I will most likely have to GO BACK TO SCHOOL.  That's NOT going to be on the list for ME! My plan is to only teach if something happens and I HAVE to have a job to support our family.  I know that my place is in the home raising my own children.

Out here in Terreton, the schools all get a TWO WEEK BREAK for spud harvest so the students can help with the harvest. Crazy huh?!? During one of those weeks the super intendant scheduled a 3 credit math class for all the elementary teachers to take. (Apparently this is a required course if you want to re certify before 2014...usually it doesn't matter what credits you get.) I was lucky enough to be able to add the class.  It was AMAZING! It was all about teaching the students how to understand what they are doing in math and why we do the things we do.  We usually see math as direct instruction-the teacher telling the students the step by step the traditional algorithm "because that's the way it is".  I learned so many methods of doing just the basic math operations THAT MADE SENSE and I didn't even know they existed!! 
 A big emphasis was also on letting the students discover for themselves and share their ideas of how they solve problems.  We all think in different ways, so we need as many ideas out there as we can for the students who just don't understand the traditional way of doing it!

I loved the experience of the class.  I loved being able to socialize with ADULTS! I loved that I didn't have to worry about my kids because I had such a great babysitter. BUT it really helped me realize how much I really do want to be home with my kids.  And that I need to spend more time interacting with them. The past few weeks I've been really frustrated about our finances and just keep thinking, if only I could have a real job I wouldn't have to worry any more.  But all in all, its just not worth it.  I know I would put my job before my home. Even after just one week of being gone all day I noticed that it would put too much on my plate and I wouldn't take time out for my family.
 But someday I would really LOVE to teach.... 
SOMEDAY!

1 comment:

Brianna Tuckett said...

I'm glad to hear that the class was good! You just never know with some of those classes they make us take :) I'm also glad that it helped reaffirm to you that you need to be home with your kiddos. I can tell that they sure love having you home with them! :)