Oct 9, 2010

What makes you happy?!

I NEVER EVER expected myself to be a "canner". I really wasn't exposed to it growing up. I remember my mom bottling tomatoes a couple times growing up.  When I moved up here I thought everyone was crazy for home canning everything in their gardens! 
Well...I've turned into one of those...
CRAZY IDAHO MORMON MOMS! 
(except it really is more than just the Mormons...its  EVERYONE)

This year I did:
 35 Quarts of Green Beans
13 Quarts of Vegetable Soup
14 Quarts of Beef Stew (some were in pints)
13 Quarts of Pickles (some were in pints)
6 Pints of Salsa
29 Pints of Crushed Tomatoes
20 Quart Bags of freezer Corn (I Still had about 50 left from last year...so I sold the other 20 dozen ears from the garden!!)
Carrots...are still pretty small, I may not get to them this year!

Green Beans:

Vegetable Soup: 

Fresh Tomatoes: 

Corn "off" the Cob 

Green Beans Snapped and Washed (a little out of order) 

Corn ON the Cob:

MY CUPBOARDS!! 


To top it all off, I participated in my very first CASE LOT SALE!!

I bought
3 cases of bottled water (72 total)
2 cases of Chicken Noodles Soup (48 total)
1 Case of Cream of Mushroom Soup (24 total)
1 Case of Cream of Chicken Soup (24 total)
1 Case of Powdered Sugar (12 2lb bags total)
1 Case of Brown Sugar (12 bags total)
1 Case of Peach Slices (24 total)
1 Case of Pear Halves (24 total) 
  (With my hand I didn't know if I was going to be able to do Peaches or Pears on my own...so I just bought them this year, BUT I would have been FINE.)
4 Cases of Apple Juice (32  64oz bottles)
1 Case of Spaghetti O's (24 cans total)
1 Case of Cheese Nips (7 boxes total)
1 Case of Flour (2 total)
1 Case of Sugar (1 total...is that really considered a CASE??)

Can I just tell you how HAPPY it makes me to see all this food storage?!  I LOVE IT!!

AND...What better time than now for this post!!  I just entered a contest with Shelf Reliance.  This first 100 people to put a button on their blog gets a $10 coupon to the store!!  I've never actually gone here but I hear its WONDERFUL!  Hopefully my next adventure will lead me here!!...and I GOT IT!  Even before I got my post up!  WOO HOO!  Now I'll have to order something!!

6 comments:

Angela said...

Your pantry makes me so happy!!!!

Our garden wasn't anywhere close to thr size of your and it hardly produced anything (sad) so I didn't get to can like I was hoping this year. Some day I want to be half as cool as you. We did get a a lot at our case lot sale...and it does make me feel so great knowing I have food stored!

Way to go

Mary said...

Good start!!!!!!!!Really, great job. It does make you feel so good to have the food on the shelves and know that you did the work and can see the "fruits" of your labors.

Mendel Family said...

Holy moly! Maybe I should hire you to do this for me, because that is never going to happen in this house!

Bobi... said...

Good thingpeople like you actually like doing this kind of stuff or the rest of the people (me included) would starve! Nice job Brittney!

Brianna Tuckett said...

That's AWESOME!! Good work on all that canning! It feels good to accomplish something so worth while and meaningful huh?! :)

Jessica said...

You are amazing!!! I did 14 quarts of peaches this year and that nearly did me in! You are a Canning Goddess!